Monday, August 25, 2008

Grandparenting from a distance

Hello out their in blog world.

I haven't written in my blog for a while, but thought I'd try again. I'd love to share ideas with other long distant grandmothers. This past week I came upon information on line about a book written by Ellen Banks Elwell. I'm trying to restrain myself from buying every book out their that looks interesting. Anyone else have that problem??? Anyway their was an excerpt from her book that gave me an idea. It suggested making your Grandchildren video's of you not only reading them books, but doing simple craft projects. So, using the program on my computer , I taped myself making some play dough. I haven't sent the DVD off yet to my grand daughter but I hope it holds her attention. I felt a little silly playing Martha Stewart but I'll be silly if that is what it takes to stay connected to my grand kids! I also read a book and did a little finger play that went with the story.... okay I should add at this point that I am a semiretired preschool teacher. But I'm sure you could do this just as well if it sounds of interest to you. Ellen suggested that you say the child's name and pretend that they are really with you. So my neighbors probably think that I'm a little off if they could hear me , but that's okay too.



If their are any young Mom's reading this God bless you. Share ideas from your point of view how we long distant Grandma's can be of help. Hope you have found an adopted Nana close to help you out!



Here is the play dough recipe in case anyone needs one. I gave mine to my church after I made .

God bless you out their, please let me know if you read my post. Would love to learn from you and know if this has helped at all.

Nana



Mix dry ingredients

2 cups flour

1/2 cup salt

2 packages of Koo laid

2 Tb. cream of tartar



Boil

2 cups of water

3 Tb. of oil



Add wet to dry and stir. If play dough is a little sticky let it cool a little before you start adding more flour. Sometimes as it cools it gets less sticky and you don't want to much flour or it will dry out quickly. Store in a covered container or plastic bag after cooled..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Oregon, United States
I love to take care of my husband and home. Study the Bible. Support young women in their roles as student of the Bible, wife and mother.